Why Montreal?


Seriously, of all places to move to, why did I choose the cold, pothole ridden Montreal? 

Hi, I'm Kushwant. I moved to Montreal, Quebec, Canada from Mauritius about 8 years ago and completely fell in love with this city. It's sights, sounds and people amazed me then and continue to do so every day. 

Montreal has some of the best food scenes I've ever experienced and definitely a rich art scene. I have much more to say on how much is spent on Arts here versus spending on Science and Research and Construction or Quality Education but....I digress.  

I'm a Mechanical Engineer by day and pretend to be Batman at night. Most of the time though, I go rock climbing, hiking and camping. I'm the guy who is most likely going to be out in the woods by himself and hiking till he sees the sunset above a mountain instead of being out at a pool party. Nature is too beautiful to not explore.

This blog isn't about me though; it's about adventure, friendship, having fun and the learning experience. 

The climbing in Montreal is most notable at the gym that Gregory and I usually go to, Allez Up, located near the Lachine Canal and famous for the silos outside that can be climbed in summer. The routes there are super gnar and the instructors strict enough to tell you when you are wrong, and chill enough to congratulate you on sending a route. 

Around Montreal lie the Laurentians, the Adirondacks and the White Mountains as our main mountain ranges. There are many other ranges around here too such as the Chic-Chocs and the Appalachians etc. Over the course of this blog, you find a montrealer's perspective on where to go to find the good climbs.

On that note, let's jump right in to climbing, shall we? 😎



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kush's Kamouraska Must-Dos

Transitioning to Sports Climbing Outside Part 1

Beginner Climbing Gear Guide Part 1: Harnesses