Don't climb unless you hate your mother


I started climbing in Cegep. I was instantly drawn to it. You see I have a natural advantage. I am tall and lanky. One electrical engineering degree later and now I have more time for me and all I want to do is climb.

The non-renewable resource you get to surround yourself in is what draws me in. Nothing beats hanging 100+ feet off a cliff.



Needless to say, the friendships you make and the partnerships you forge as you progress turns it into a lifestyle.

This blog is about the inexplicable reasons why we climb from the perspective of two friends who share a common passion. It is unprofessional and unedited. This blog is about us giving back to the community we love and sharing what we learn from each other (sorry but not sorry for sounding cliche).

Disclaimer: climbing is dangerous and anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool or a liar. Climbing has come a long way since hobnail boots and hemp ropes. If you are aware of the risks and have proper instruction, you can manage those risks. If it wasn't a little out there, it wouldn't be fun. Sometimes it is painful in the moment and it is only type two or even type three fun.

There are many ways to start learning to climb safely. Reading this blog is not it; this is not a substitute for professional training nor a substitute for common sense. 

The approach I chose to learn le climb was learning the basics at Allez Up indoors. Transitioning outdoors by getting a guide to show me the ropes in Squamish. Later on, I was lucky enough to have some more experienced climbers mentor me. As well as lucky, to pick up some mountaineering skills from Attitude Montagne, a great climbing school (especially if you are lucky enough to get instruction from the owner Dominic Asselin).

That being said, I hope you pickup something from here.

See you outside!

Greg









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kush's Kamouraska Must-Dos

Transitioning to Sports Climbing Outside Part 1

Beginner Climbing Gear Guide Part 1: Harnesses